Monday, June 24, 2013

Not bad for an ad!

In 2007 Steinlager, a beer company from New Zealand, released a "deliver me" ad. It has some surprising themes, but I'll let you watch it before I comment on it:



To sum up: a young white man is inspired toward a quiet masculine strength through the example of his father. This young man is connected to his identity, he "knows who he is".

The portrayal of race in the ad goes against the usual trend. Usually when the interaction of whites and blacks is portrayed in the media there is an emphasis on white guilt or black coolness. But in this case the black fighter is portrayed as being too loudly aggressive, too "in your face".

I wouldn't want every ad to have that particular slant - my trad instincts are to want blacks to find their place in the world as well. But it's refreshing to have the better qualities of young white men portrayed in the media.

The ad shows what might be done in a more traditionalist minded community. The media could be used to inspire us to be the best of who we are and to be strong in our identity.

(Hat tip: Social Pathologist)

8 comments:

  1. The problem is, it's an advertisment for beer, which is alcohol.

    As a former problem drinker, now teetotal, I honestly cannot say that I feel that the advantages of alcohol outweigh its disadvantages.

    That's right - I'm only 26 and cannot order a beer in a pub because I used to have a drink problem and I'm now teetotal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the vid. I do see a common theme though. The western man in these situations on television and movies is always shown in silent defiance.
    As in this is the limit of action a white man can take against attack whether it be a threat or an insult against his pride etc.

    This can actually be highlighted very clearly in New Zealand culture where the Haka is performed (with throat slitting motions) while the opposing team does nothing but stare back.

    Though this ad does get a point for showing an unPC narrative. The father-son connection is also good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it's anti-black; it's about the white boxer not being afraid of the black boxer's trash-talking & intimidation attempt, because of his father's example. Good ad, yup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. anon:
    "This can actually be highlighted very clearly in New Zealand culture where the Haka is performed (with throat slitting motions) while the opposing team does nothing but stare back."

    I do think it is completely ridiculous that the Haka is allowed. I can just imagine what would happen if eg the Scots or English declared they would be singing a 'traditional war chant' - in English - about killing the other side, prior to each match!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also have you seen this?

    http://newobserveronline.com/australia-nearly-25-non-european-as-indians-become-single-largest-source-of-immigrants/

    A national anti-racism strategy?

    Seriously, a national white genocide strategy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute ad.

    And no, I don't think it's "anti-black".

    ReplyDelete
  7. There was a similar ad here in the US a while back, also from a beer company and also positively portraying a white boxer. I can't find it now, though.

    I agree that in this ad blacks' characteristic loudness is portrayed as obnoxious. In most ads, it's portrayed as vibrant. In reality, I've seen it be both.

    I agree that I wouldn't want blacks to be always portrayed as obnoxious; sometimes their rambunctiousness really does create joy. I just wouldn't worry too much about that right now. Taken together, the ads on TV are in no danger of overemphasizing blacks' negative qualities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never mind about the other ad. I think this Steinlager ad is the one I was thinking of. The ad has been around for a few years.

    ReplyDelete